MEC strives to provide a learning community whereby all students and staff feel safe, secure and included in our school. The MEC Ally Network aims to provide staff with training in supplying awareness and support for students in the LGBTQIA+ community
MEC Staff Allies will:
- be a safe person for students or staff to speak to without prejudice and provide support where necessary
- create a culture that is inclusive of all people within the school community
- value and celebrate diversity and the LGBTQIA+ community
- challenge any homophobic, transphobic, sexist language or behaviour in a way that will encourage change and learning for all school members
- be informed and sensitive towards diverse sexualities, people with natural intersex variations and diverse gender identities
- publicly acknowledge that they have been trained in supporting LGBTQIA+ students and staff by placing the Ally Network sticker on their laptop, office door, diary and branding their email signature
- not in any way act in a clinical role as a wellbeing advisor, counsellor, social worker, case worker or psychologist (unless employed to do so).
Click here for more information about DET Safe Schools initiative.
Support Groups at MEC
MEC has several support groups, in addition to the student services staff we have a student lead Pride Crew. The Pride Crew meet regularly in person and also have their own safe virtual team that is also used to host meetings and events etc.
The MEC Pride Crew is a weekly social lunch time meeting group for LGBTQIA+ students, staff and their straight friends. In Pride Crew we provide a safe space for everyone and anyone to talk about any issues queer students may face in the community, such as coming out, understanding our identities, advocating for our rights and the history of the queer community in Australia and beyond. We also eat lots of snacks, play games and enjoy each other’s company.
This is a place where everyone can be themselves without judgement, and a group that values trust and privacy for everyone in the room.
Fridays 11:00 am in the Theatre (PAT).
External Support Resources
Better Health Channel – Sexuality Explained
Headspace – Sexuality & Gender
Reach Out – Gender & Identity
Beyond Blue – LBGTI
Kids Helpline – Gender Identity
Kids Helpline – Sexual Identity
Youth Central – Relationships